Sunday, April 04, 2004

A musical interlude
Sometimes.... Sometimes I just don't get it. I love, no, I adore Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue." Possibly one of the greatest pieces of music ever written and certainly one of the greatest pieces of the 20th century. Even United Airlines using it in their ads can't spoil it. So, naturally, I have a disc of the L.A. Philharmonic and Michael Tilson Thomas playing Gershwin. Yet I hadn't ripped it into iTunes for the reason, the numbskull reason, that I had the disc in the kitchen on the Bose Wave radio (I won't link to it but do yourself a favor and buy one - you won't regret it). But finally I bring the disc to the Mac and start ripping it. Whonk. Something on the disc freezes the CD drive on the desktop machine. Nehah? Whaa? OK. Restart.
Pop the disc in my laptop, ba-da-bing ba-da-boom rips in no time. What to do? Well, burn a copy of the disc from AIFF files and pop the new disc in the desktop machine. Rip, rip, rip. Done. Leaving me buffaloed as to just what was wrong with the original disc.

But I don't care because I ended up where I wanted to be: Gershwin in iTunes and on the iPod and a spare disc for the car.

No comments: