Saturday, April 17, 2004

Oh yeah!
My last visit to Costco led to DVD acquisitions. What a surprise. Well, actually I never know precisely what I'll be carrying out of the Great Hanger Of Material Goods even though I am in search of specific things when I go in. This time I found the new Matrix DVD. I didn't see the final installment at the theater which I've regretted as it's the kind of flicker that works better the bigger the screen is. Still, I already have the other two so I pretty much have to finish out the collection. Yee hah! Some good ol' Matrix-style slam-bang action.
Even though the human-piloted mechs which guard the dock were derivative of everything from Mobile Suit Gundam to the loader in Aliens. But it worked. The scenes where the defenders are pouring a stream of lead death into the hole the Sentinels are trying to come through are beautiful. Much in the vein of the ballet of brass cascading from the helicopter minnie gun in the first movie of the set.
It also helped that "Revolutions" was somewhat lighter on the faux-losiphizing that tainted "Reloaded." I remain unconvinced that "The Oracle" was necessary. The Wachowski boys could have just named a character "D. S. X. Makina."
Please don't tell me that I have to explain that.

Bottom line: I stand by what I said to my brother after seeing the first Matrix movie. "That was the best bad movie I've ever seen."

The other treasure was the DVD of "Singin' In The Rain." My very mostest favorite movie of all times. I had it on VHS tape but I'll end up replacing all my tapes with DVDs over time. With the sole exception of Debbie Reynolds, everyone in the movie is just stunningly perfect. If I could be someone else, I'd be Gene Kelly in the early 1950s. The late Donald O'Connor is a dynamo. One thing about the picture quality of the DVD though - I never before noticed the scar on Gene Kelly's left cheek. Since I can't say enough good about this flick, I'll just stop talking.

Oh, if you haven't seen it, go rent it immediately.
Maybe this is the expression of whatever is gay in me: love a musical and hate the female lead. This could be the start of an episode of "Will and Grace."

No comments: