Friday, May 20, 2005

I Have One Question
I haven't seen it yet and don't know when I will. But why is the title "Revenge of the Sith?" What exactly is it that was done to them that they are taking "revenge?"
I was going to go off on Lucas's naming of a previous episode but let me swipe a wad of text from the IMDB:
The title to this film is based on a false name given to _Return Of The Jedi (1983)_ , which was "Revenge Of The Jedi". In the Special Edition of ROTJ, George Lucas himself stated that they purposely leaked out the name as "Revenge Of The Jedi" in order to catch people making bootleg merchandise. He also stated that a true Star Wars fan would have known it was a false title because a Jedi would never seek revenge. The false title also caused another movie to change its title; Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982) was originally titled "Khan's Revenge", but changed when word of the third Star Wars film's working title was leaked.
"A Jedi would never seek revenge." Yeah, right. So Yoda's line about destroying the Sith isn't revenge, so it's OK. "Hi. I want to wipe you from the face of the glaxy but my motives are not so base as to be (shudder) revenge, so you should be OK with what I plan to do." Oh my aching back.
This might lead to a "Why I Hate George Lucas" post. Or not.

No comments: