Monday, December 05, 2005

A Movie I Liked
I just rented the new Willy Wonka movie. Really, really enjoyed it. Johnny Depp really makes this movie. The ads featured a quick clip of him bluindering into the glass elevator and it's one of those small touches that works so well: He sells it big time. Not just bumping into it but thumping into it and falling down.
I've never read the source material but I'd guess that this version might be truer to it that the Gene Wilder version. Though I liked the Oompa Loompa songs in the first one better. Which reminds me, the use of Deep Roy for all the Oompa Loompas is inspired and exceedingly well done. As are the nut-sorting squirrels.
The kid who plays Charlie Bucket is such a sweet, delightful kid. I hope he gets more work. And I very much like the fact that in this version, Charlie gets the prize without having screwed up as he did in the first version. I want Charlie to be as good as he is, not good enough by default.
If you haven't seen this one, please do. No rush.

No comments: