Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Taking Note
See, it's music post so I called it "Taking Note!" Ha ha! What a clever lad.
OK, enough of that. I see in todays paper that ol' Stephen Stills, he of oh! so many bands and the most-excellent use of the wah-wah pedal, has a new disc out. "Man Alive!" on Titan-Pyramid/Universal. The link goes to an amazon page which lists it as an import at an absurdly high price. It must be available domestically at a better price even as I write. But the link to Sills's home page has a link to an MP3 of the song "Drivin' Thunder" which is worth the listen. Scott Galupo reviews the album in today's Washington Times. Expect that link to rot away in about a week.
I can't say it ranks among my favorite Stills songs (which leans heavily on his CSN&Y, CS&N, Manassas and Buffalo Springfield work in that order) but it's still better than 80% of what's being put out these days. There are two things I must say in posting about this guy: First, his song "Southern Cross" is one of the great songs of all time. Secondly, and this amuses me more than is logical, is that he tried out for Don Kirshner to be one of "The Monkees" back in the 60s but was turned down because he had such bad teeth. I hope he's been a regular at the dentist's since then.
I just got my Elton John CDs today and am listening to songs I've not really listened to in at least a decade. Yet I can sing along without reference to the lyrics. Two songs make the CDs necessary: "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" on "Honky Chateau" and "Come Down in Time" on "Tumbleweed Connection."

No comments: