Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Continuing Pursuit Of Ginger Peach Sorbet
In my freezer right now is another batch of yellow peach sorbet made from Loring peaches. Despite saying that I had settled on 6 tablespoons of ginger vodka as the proper amount, I used 7 this time around. Why? Because I only had 7 Tbsp left! And I think the texture of the 'bet is actually a wee bit better. Softer.
Not only that, if you make the sorbet with this much vodka, you don't really need an ice cream maker to make it. It's so insanely simple. Buy about four pounds of peaches (I buy more because I buy "seconds" which require more processing and cutting out of bad spots but sell for much less), peel and de-stone them (let me repeat: Every one must get de-stoned!). Make a simple syrup of 1 cup of sugar and one half cup of water. Juice one lemon. Heat the sugar mix and lemon juice until all the granules are melted. I let it get to the point of some bubbling at the bottom of the mix just to be sure.
Put the peach pieces into a blender (fill it up) and start liquefying the pieces. Pour the syrup into the blender slowly (because I do it while the syrup is hot) and just beat the hell out of the contents. The level of blended product will sink as the liquid takes less space than the peach pieces. Add the vodka, keep putting in more peach pieces until the blender is full of the liquefied mixture.
Then pour into what ever container you'd like to keep it in. About every 15 minutes for the next couple of hours, stir the mix around. And you're done.

Next for the test kitchen is white peach ("Lady Nancy") sorbet but I have to make more ginger vodka. And here's how to do that (from "Forbes FYI" magazine):
Ingredients:
1 two-inch chunk of raw ginger
1 bottle of vodka

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2) Wrap ginger chunk in aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
3) Peel heated ginger and slice into small strips.
4) Pour one shot out of the bottle and down the hatch, or set aside.
5) Push ginger strips through the bottleneck.
6) Place bottle on its side in the freezer and let sit for one week.
Knock yourself out.
UPDATE: I thought "7 Tbsp." to be an unwieldy measure. So with a bit of a test I can say that 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp is the equivalent.

No comments: