Friday, June 19, 2009

Charismatic Megafauna
After visiting friends in Sharpsburg, MD (link goes to Google maps) I drove home last night through the 11:00 o'clock hour. Before leaving, I was wished well with deer and driving being specifically mentioned. Usually I don't have to slow much in my backroads driving but last night I had four encounters with the damn deer, two of which required actual braking. One deer decided to run alongside the road and seemed to be peeved that it could not run faster than a Subaru Outback. Yeah, well screw you pal. Let's see you outrun this FMJ .30-06!
Just kidding. I don't carry a rifle in the car.
There was also a suicide 'possum that I managed to avoid. Not megafauna there. And, actually, not charismatic either. But I didn't exactly want to have to clean marsupial soup off my fender.

2 comments:

Phillymon said...

You shouldn't carry a rifle in the car. You should carry a shotgun, 00 buckshot. We could have been contemplating a Blogdog trademarked Ginger Venison Stew...

Borepatch said...

"I don't carry a rifle in the car."

Well, if you don't feel the need for 30-06, a Winchester in 30-30 is small and handy, as a "truck gun". Should be adequate to keep your freezer filled.

Or like Phillymon said.

Of course, the good burghers on Maryland (and here in Massachusetts) would be appalled at that thought. Like that would be a bad thing ....