Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Haiti
It looks like the speed at which Haiti, as a nation, is circling the drain is accelerating. I could make the usual "tut-tutting" noises and the obligatory foofaraw about US and nation building. But I won't.
I am, however, sorry for the state of affairs the Haitian people have created for themselves because the state of that state is no one's fault but their own. Haiti is, I think (though I wouldn't say I have a knowledge of Haitian history greater than any thinking, observant Amercan's), the most successful Caribbean nation in establishing its own independence. Historically. Let me repeat that: Historically. Toussaint L'Overture was a brilliant leader.
But it's been downhill since then.
And it's entirely on the heads of the citizens. The Dominican Republic, sharing the island with Haiti shows that it's certainly not a geographic problem. It's political.
Having said that, I'm not about to do deep analysis of Haiti's political history. I never meta-analysis I didn't like. I'm only concerned with the last decade or so and specifically Jean Bertrand Aristide. Aristide has proven himself to be the moral equivalent not of Baby Doc Duvalier but of Papa Doc. He's almost succeeded in making Raoul Cédras look good by comparison. Not that I have any affection for Cédras either. I'm not even going to talk about Haiti's leaders anymore.

What I want to know is whether the Americans who pushed for the return of Aristide will take any responsibility for what has become of the island nation. Haiti Democracy Project. It's a pipe dream of the left. And it's going to get much, much worse before it gets better.

No comments: