Monday, June 09, 2008

A Long-delayed Embed
Well, after going two weeks without giving sufficient brain power to the idea of an embed, I've settled back on one of my all-time favorites (and a guy I consider a friend) Jake Armerding. He has several uToob viddies up but the one I'm posting is one of my absolute favorites of his songs: "Little Boy Blue (North of North Dakota)." The venue is the Boston Folk Festival. And the introduction shows Jake at his best. He talks with the audience, makes that connection on perhaps not the personal level but certainly on a human level. You may not feel you've had the chance to talk to him on stage (and thank heaven for that! say other audience members) but you will have the feeling that he's talked honestly to you.
Another of my favorite performers, Mike Cross, does this perhaps better than any artist I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Mike and Jake not only write and perform fantastic music but they introduce songs with stories and give explanations of the genesis of songs. It makes for a vastly more pleasant listener experience.
In any event, this song displays much of what makes Jake such a master songwriter: intelligent lyrics, humor a great hook and a great story. I love it. I hope you do too:


No comments: