Friday, May 19, 2006

Things Pile Up
I hope to be putting up a whole bunch stuff (read: krep) that has been accumulating but that means I'll have to dig the scanner out from under a pile of papers and ... well, you get the idea. But my intentions (gorramit) are good.
But the nub of my gist in this little jet of vented bile is return address labels. Many years ago I got a program called Silicon Press for my old Mac. It did labels. It did labels with flair. Labels with graphics. I made great labels for the mailers of the book club I was in. And, of course, I made return address labels for myself. Silicon Press went the way of many digital lives to an ignored but not unlamented demise. And I began to use SuperPaint for my address labels as it was the first program that allowed me to combine a paint (bit mapped graphic) layer with a draw (vector graphic) layer in one file. I did Christmas labels, I did labels with a leading graphic initial. They weren't earth-shaking but they looked good and I spent an unGodly amount of time tweaking the placement so that they would print out -just so-.
And SuperPaint died with System 9. I still have a bunch of old files that I created in SuperPaint that I'd love to futz with again but no program, despite the crunching power and ability of modern programs like Photoshop and InDesign, allows me to create like I did in SuperPaint. But I digress. It's the address label thing.
I can not believe that in this day and age any person would need to create an address label for him or her self. I must get at least one begging letter a month that includes a guilt gift of mail labels. I laugh Ha! Ha! For I am not swayed by guilt and use the labels with abandon. Specifically, abandonment of the beggers who sent me the letter in the first place. Now, most of these labels do advertise the concern of those who sent them but the careful use of an X-acto knife and I'm good to go.
Am I the only one who has an envelope full of address labels sent by alleged charities? C'mon. Fess up. I'm not judging. I just want to know.

No comments: