Thursday, September 06, 2007

Popcorn. It's What's For DEAAAATTHHH!
It is now being reported that
Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading lung research hospital.
What a load of codswallop. I have no doubt that any particulate, including buttery flavoring (and please remember that any product that uses an adjectival "y" construction is not to be trusted) can have deleterious effects. And workers who are prone to breathe in clouds of the stuff should wear respirators or masks at the very least. But all the foofaraw about consumers being in danger is the load of codswallop I mentioned earlier. If you're not huffing microwave popcorn (see the story at the "reported link above), you are in no danger. But "no danger" is not the way the press works. I support microwave popcorn for its convenience and flavor. Orville makes a kettle corn that is worth the three minute wait.
I remain, however, an ardent proponent of the Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper. It uses less oil that a traditional popper and it pops ... every ... freakin ... kernel! And when I say "less oil," I mean one teaspoon. OK, so I tend to use a little more than that but the use of less oil allows you to use more real butter for the actual, proper flavor of popcorn. Oh man. I'm making myself start a hard jones for the stuff now. Gimme a big jar of Orville's and I'll roll fifty deep.
Just for fits and grins, here's a recipe for kettle corn.

No comments: