Monday, September 15, 2008

Music In The Mail
I got a CD with booklet (ooohhh! bookLET - it's like a book and a pamphlet had a baby!) of "Mozart - Musical Masterpieces" (see what it has at the link - I'm waaayyy too lazy to bother with all the typing) in the mail from some outfit that wants me to subscribe to something. I think. Yeah, well, not gonna happen. But in the meantime, I get to listen to some of the greatest music the world has ever heard. The Overture to "Le nozze di Figaro" is, in a word, sublime.
I don't listen to enough classical music. And my taste in said music is decidedly pedestrian. Beethoven, Bach (the Brandenburgs are beyond amazing), Mozart of course, Grieg's Piano Concerto. I suppose the one place I break out of the rut is Wagner. The Ring Cycle is glorious: darkness and light, soaring and occult with a story that is both epic and deeply personal. But then, you know all this. Why am I writing about this?
Because I got a free CD in the mail. Which is nice. Let me ask you: have you gotten any unsolicited thing in the mail lately? A nice thing. We always unsolicited junk.

No comments: