Monday, August 08, 2005

RIP Peter Jennings
I was sorry to see his passing last night and I hope his family (or families) have all reached their peace with what they knew was coming. But I was again struck how, if you want to be mythologized in this world at your death, be sure to have a high-profile media job. Jennings was a competent news reader and wrote a book that was better than run-of-the-mill. But if you see his bio, he fell into more beds of roses than any three people. His father was in the news biz so he "managed" to get a news business job at the age of nine. His active work (and I greatly respect his field reporting as it takes nerve to go into dangerous situations) got him a network anchor job when he was in his late 20s. C'mon. If that's not accomplished by a bit of pluck and a huge wad of luck, then the news business is not what I see it to be.
I admire that he became an American citizen even though he should have done so long before he did. And I'm sorry at his passing as John Donne noted that every man's loss diminishes us all. But I'll not miss his reflexive liberalism and ultimately tilted (that's at less of an angle than slanted) reporting.

No comments: