Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gratitude?
I'm a bit unsure (witness the question mark above) if this post could be properly categorized under my "gratitude" tag. And it's a prime candidate for "navel-gazing" but I can't help but think that there's something about being grateful in here.
Some years ago I signed onto the National Marrow Donor Program. As in bone marrow. As in 'this might save someone's life who has leukemia.' Gave a blood sample and all that. And I've never been contacted. Of course it might be a blessing on my part to be sure that my contact info is up to date and that I haven't been bureaucratically misplaced. Because, yes, I do know that this is strange, I would really like to donate bone marrow. I understand that it's painful, a rather large bore needle is inserted into the pelvis and a good hunk of the tasty stuff (c'mon - you know you've sucked out the gelatinous goodness of a beef bone!) is extracted.
But the pain, to my mind, would be nothing compared to the idea that what I've grown, casually and incidentally, might just let another person live more years of quality life. I'd like to be that guy. I'd like to be the one who gives.

Having said that, I urge everyone who's willing to register for the registry. You could save someone's life by doing so. It's worth it. I'd be grateful for the chance to donate even if there might be a little glimmer of hubris in there somewhere.

1 comment:

Ishmael said...

hi blogdog,

i'm feel grateful that you are so willing to be a bone marrow donor! i'm contacting you to see if you can help me. i am currently working with the gift of life bone marrow foundation to try to help a little 2-year old out with acute leukemia.

i know your not from cleveland but this sunday and monday there will be an emergency bone marrow drive to save the 2 year old named eve.

it would be awesome if you could dedicate a blog post to little eve and hopefully we can find a donor. the more exposure the better. lets give eve a chance.

for more information:

http://www.giftoflife.org/Public/News.aspx?news_id=91
http://www.giftoflife.org

thanks,
ishmael