Monday, February 18, 2008

I'll Be Conflusticated
OK, I made that word up. I was going to say "I'll be buggered" but that's a little strong for what I'll be. I'm still in the overall set-up process of the home network so I thought I'd take a look at eBay to see what, if anything, the DSL modem (which Verizon is not interested in getting back - which should be a clue right there) might be worth. Ha. I found a couple exemplars of my particular model on offer for either 99 cents or $1.99. And, let me put the blunt point on this little thrillah - no bids. A perfectly functional DSL modem is worth, in real terms, nothing. Seems a little strange and a little sad but at least now I know.
Of course I'm old enough to remember how much I spent for my first modem which was a blazing 14400 bps box about the size of one half my PowerBook. And it didn't work all that well. Now I only want to use wireless and leave the modulation and demodulating to a box sitting somewhere in the house not necessarily on my desk.
I'm going to have to make up a package of electronics to take to the recycling station.

No comments: