Monday, January 08, 2007

Egregious
I've stolen this image from the website (which will go unmentioned here) instead of scanning in the full page ad that ran in the AAA magazine. I am horrified. This grotesque blob of kitsch is to "(h)elp make great strides in increasing breast cancer awareness...." Oh my aching Lord. If women with breast cancer were not suffering enough, now they are plagued by this warty excrescence on the face of good taste. And, of course, a "portion of the proceeds from the sale ... will be donated to help fight breast cancer." It's not specified what portion that is of course. One is left to wonder if this is like the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa is told something is being produced with "a percentage" of recycled content. When asked, the spokeswoman says, "Zero is a percent!"
I'm not saying the people who put this out are giving nothing to the fight against breast cancer but anyone concerned about the fight (or good taste) will be better served to just give the $20 cost directly to the American Cancer Society, or any number of other good anti-cancer organizations. Finally, the "sculptural shoe" is "removable." Why, oh why would anyone ever want to remove this hideous thing? The evil part of me wants the designer of this to actually get brea... No, I can't say that. I can come close to hoping for it. But I can't actually wish that on anyone.

No comments: