Tuesday, January 09, 2007

In Praise of Famous Women
Every now and again I come upon an actress or a woman who has achieved some measure of fame and am struck at how wonderfully and beautifully she has aged. The most recent example is Kathy Garver who played "Cissy" on "Family Affair" back in the late 60s, early 70s. She was a lovely young lady back then but her picture on her bio page shows that her beauty has not diminished after the passage of years. I'll be discreet enough to not mention her age (which is easy enough to find online) but I will profess my great admiration for her graceful beauty.
In talking with a friend the other day, I mentioned how impressed I was with Ms. Garver (one of the weekly magazines in my newspaper had a "where are they now" letter about her which led to my Googling her for a current picture). He then made a remark along the lines of, "Oh, they all have lots of plastic surgery." That may be true but it really doesn't matter. Ms. Garver's face retains the look she had all those years ago and her smile is absolutely brilliant. If she decided to have work done, it was done very, very well and I congratulate her on a good decision.
I think it's one of life's little grace notes to stumble on something like this. An actress to whom I really paid little heed and then to find she's been successful and just as beautiful now as she was then. Ms. Garver, or Mrs. Travis if you prefer, I salute you!
UPDATE: I sent Ms. Garver an e-mail asking that she might cast a glance the way of this post and I got a very nice e-mail in return. I am now and will forever be a devoted fan of Kathy Garver. It goes to show that there are good people in show business.

No comments: