Monday, July 04, 2005

Chinese Internet Addiction Clinic
It appears the Chinese have opened their first Internet Addiction Clinic to treat teenagers and young adults who can't stop playing games or hanging out in Chat Rooms. This falls under the category of "I'm Not Making This Up." I commonly use this phrase when telling stories about some of the customers I do consulting work for. Here are some excerpts that would be funny if they weren't in all likelihood true:
"I would stay up for 24 hours. I would eat only in front of the computer," he said.

"It's been good to sleep" says another, a 17-year-old with spiky hair, now that he's no longer on the computer all day.

"I wasn't normal," said a 20-year-old man from Beijing who used to spend at least 10 hours a day in front of the screen playing hack-and-slash games like Diablo.


I guess the Chinese are going to have to figure out more strategies like this to combat Internet addictions because there is no chance they are going to stop people from going online. No chance at all, despite their best efforts.

No comments: