Monday, July 11, 2005

A Movie I'd Like To See
Stealth. What can I say? I'm a guy. I like guy movies. Dick flicks, if you want the opposite term to chick flicks. Movies where stuff blows up real good.
But am I going to see it? I'm not sure. If someone will explain one thing to me, I'll go. I'll go twice. I can get behind the idea that there's a computer controlled fighter airplane. Heck, computer controlled weapons are a sci-fi trope. I read a story called (relying on old devil memory) "Gottloss" in my brother's "Analog" magazine back when John W. Campbell was the editor. That device was a tank controlled by an on-board human brain.
So what do I want explained? Simply this: Stealth fighters drink fuel like nobody's business. Where does this robot plane go to re-fuel? I'm hoping the issue is dealt with in the movie because if it's avoided, I will not see it. Period.

But this is my movie failing. I'll buy into the big absurdity as long as the film maker doesn't screw the pooch on the details. Like in "Jurassaic Park." I'm Ok with neo-dinos but don't tell me that a 14 year-old girls then knew UNIX. When that movie came out, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a 14 year-old computer geek boy (and if you tell me that there are as many compugeek girls as boys, you're a liar) who knew UNIX.

No comments: